Texas hold ’em poker is classed as the king of card games and is very easy to learn no matter what your skill level. It’s a fun game to play online, but it is even better to play live. If your used to playing a round of poker at a friend’s home game then it is important to take note of not only the rules of the game, but also the lsm99 involved in a live casino.
What is the objective of a hold ’em poker game?
The object of the game is to win the pot by forming the highest ranked five card poker hand or have all the other players surrender the pot to you by folding to your bet (You can do this by bluffing).
Casinos offer different varieties of poker these days, but the main two you will see is limit or no limit Texas hold ’em and pot limit Omaha. Unlike other casino games like roulette or blackjack, players of poker play against each other. The casino provides the dealers, the cards and other equipment to conduct these games for a small fee, which is usually charged in either a time charge every hour and a commission of the pot which is called ‘Rake’.
A few points to think about when joining a live poker game at a casino:
- To join a game a minimum amount of chips is required to buy-in as specified at the table. Chips are normally purchased at the cashier, or sometimes there is a change host that walks around the tables that will change for you. You can also re buy at the table directly from the dealer if you want to reload or you bust out.
- After any blind betting required for the variation of poker being played, players are dealt their hole cards. In a home game the person with the dealer button usually deals the game, but with a casino the poker dealers only deal.
- A set sequence of betting and dealing of community cards follows to the poker variety; Texas hold ’em, Omaha, or stud games.
- Poker players in turn from left of the big blind pre flop and left of the button post flop will decide whether to check, call, bet, raise or fold.
- After all community cards are dealt and all betting rounds are completed, the poker player with the highest ranked hand without folding wins the pot.
Most casinos have a code of conduct either visible or on request, here is a list of rules that some casinos put in place for their poker games.
You have to play the poker game at a reasonable speed, don’t cause unreasonable delays and also follow the game so you know if the action is up to you.
Protect your hand, especially if you are sitting right next to the dealer, if the dealer folds them by mistake then it is still your fault.
Don’t comment on other poker players’ tactics, poker is a game of deception and this can ruin the game for everyone involved.
If any player at the table notices an error, you must point it out i.e. if another player hasn’t put the money they bet in the pot, or the dealer reads the winning hand wrong.
Colluding or cheating is not tolerated and can lead to you getting banned from the casino, it might be fun going down to the casino with your friends to play poker, just remember there are no friends on the poker table when the game is played.
At most western casinos only English must be spoken at the table, this is so everyone can understand what you are talking about. You must speak loud enough for everyone to hear. Ensure you don’t use foul language.
Clearly announce your intentions, check, bet, raise, fold etc. When you bet make sure you push all the required chips in with one hand motion otherwise this is called a string bet. The easiest way is to verbally announce how much you want to bet.
Make sure you do not splash the pot, this means place your bets in front of you and not hit the pot which is in front of the dealer.